We're Here for You Providing empathetic legal counsel with your families' best interest in mind.

Annapolis Child Visitation Lawyer

What is an Unfit Parent in Maryland?

When child custody is decided and visitation is awarded, one parent will be given either supervised or unsupervised visitation. Supervised visitation is generally awarded when a parent is seen as “unfit” because of having a mental illness, health issue, alcohol or drug dependency or criminal history. This type of visitation requires a person appointed by the courts to be present at all times with the child and the “unfit” parent. If a parent complies with the courts and it is later proven that he or she has overcome their situation and is no longer detrimental to the well-being of the child, then a modification of the visitation terms can be requested through the family law courts.

Contact our Annapolis visitation attorney now to schedule a consultation!

Types of Child Visitation Arrangements

Unsupervised visitation may be awarded to a non-custodial parent. This type of visitation is the result of not being awarded physical custody or joint physical custody of a child. This would mean that a visitation schedule must be agreed upon by both parents or the family law courts and followed through for the well-being of the child. If one or both parents break a visitation agreement continuously, then a parent can petition the family law courts to modify the existing agreement which could possibly change the existing child custody arrangements. In addition, if sole custody is awarded then depending on the circumstances, either supervised or non-supervised child custody may be awarded to the non-custodial parent.

Some common visitation arrangements with a non-custodial parent include:

  • Alternate weekend visitation, including "three-day holidays"
  • Mid-week visitation
  • Sharing of child during school breaks, fall, winter, spring and summer
  • Alternate year visitation for holidays such as Christmas, New Year's Eve, Easter, Thanksgiving and Religious holidays.
  • Mother's Day with Mother, Father's Day with Father
  • Alternate year visitation on child's birthday
  • Open telephone contact
  • Exchange of a few days of visitation with other parent throughout the year if mutually agreed upon by both parents. No need for a modification or court order.

Need a Lawyer For Child Visitation in Maryland?

We can review the circumstances of your case to determine the type of visitation schedule you may be entitled to. An Annapolis child visitation lawyer at our firm can also provide aggressive legal representation in a family law court if you wish to modify the terms of an original agreement, or show proof that a visitation schedule is not being rightfully followed.

If you are a parent wishing to schedule visitation or you are a parent having visitation problems, please contact an Annapolis visitation attorney at the Law Office of Nicholas T. Exarhakis immediately (410) 593-0040.


  • “Mr. Exarhakis was knowledgeable, understanding and had just the right amount of toughness that was necessary for my case.”

    Cyrkle Lomax

  • “His staff is amazing and always quick to help.”

    Dennis Dauphin

  • “Nick is one of the most thorough attorneys I've met and is easy to work with.”


  • “He was able to successfully litigate an outcome that was far better than what had been offered.”

    Dennis D.

  • “They made a difficult process much easier especially considering that I live out of state.”

    Marie James