Change of Child Custody in Maryland

In Maryland if you want to change the custody or visitation order that currently exists a Complaint for Modification is filed in the Circuit Court. The case will then follow the normal course of scheduling including a stop at your local mediator. If the parties can agree on a change the mediator can produce a Parenting Plan which will be filed in the Circuit Court and the case is closed. If an agreement cannot be reached the parties will ultimately face a trial judge. The first test a judge will impose is did the parson requesting the change provide enough evidence of a "material change of circumstance" that would warrant a change from the currently existing Order. Although judges follow statutes and previous case law in their determination of what constitutes a material change, there will be variations from judge to judge. If you cannot satisfy the court's interpretation of a material change, the court will deny the request for a change in the custody or visitation. The case will then be over. If you can satisfy the judge that a material change has occurred the next test for the judge is what is in the best interest of the minor child or children. The factors involved in a determination of material change and best interest of the child are complex. It is always best to engage the services of a competent Maryland lawyer who will provide you with the best information available. Call our offices today if you are dealing with a child custody matter or any type of family law issue. With over 30 years of experience, our firm has the knowledge to know what steps to take in such matters.

Related Posts
  • How to Protect Your Assets During a Maryland Divorce Read More
  • Long-Distance Co-Parenting in Maryland Read More
  • Mistakes to Avoid After Divorce Read More